Friday, December 13, 2019

2019: My 25 Favorite Rap Songs

2019 was another progressive year for hip hop (which unfortunately ended on a sad note, with the recent death of talented young artist Juice WRLD). Generation Now continued to give a big F-U to convention, reinventing the culture to suit their own tastes while delivering eclectic sounds that covered every possible sub-genre. I for one, was game to give it all a listen. I'm trying something different this year, creating a list of my Top Rap Songs in addition to my Top Rap Albums post (coming soon). These were the tracks that moved me. The ones I kept coming back to for one reason or another - either because they featured interesting production, banging beats or a charismatic leading man/woman who grabbed and held my attention. Some of these tracks spoke to our times and captured the ethos the American youth experience. Others...well they just sounded awesome in my car stereo. Given the volume of music released these days, it's impossible for me to even begin to determine which were the "best songs". So I'll just say these were my 25 favorites (in no particular order). Click on the titles to listen to the tracks. Enjoy.

Bad Bad Bad: Young Thug - There's no logical reason for this song to be this good. It's all wrong and all right at the same time. Frantic, off-kilter, inaccessible, and yet... oddly coherent. I hate it. Play it again.

Best On EarthRuss & Bia - Shout out to Rihanna for the co-sign that sent this sticky, NSFW, sexy groove straight from IG to my headphones.


Big: Young M.A. – Young M.A. is an absolute beast. Peep the next-level wordplay, uncanny voice manipulation, nifty ad-libs and boundless swagger. She's elite and she knows it. 

Big FishChance The Rapper (Feat Gucci Mane) – Chance may have underwhelmed with "The Big Day", but he and Gucci Mane crushed this one. 

Crowns For Kings – Benny The Butcher (Feat. Black Thought) - Nothing but heat and tough talk for you. 

Down BadDreamville (Feat. J.I.D, Bas, J Cole, EarthGang & Young Nudy) - A squad of Dreamville affiliates tripling up the words and having too much fun.

Every SeasonRoddy Ricch - This kid took off like a rocket in 2019. "Poppin' sh*t like hot grease" all year long.

Family And LoyaltyGang Starr (Feat. J Cole) - Just like old times. Vintage Gang Starr with Guru sounding as vibrant as ever. 


First OffFuture (Feat. Travis Scott) - Travis always brings out the best in Future.


Follow GodKanye West - If everybody's "Sunday Service" sounded this good, church would be lit every weekend.


HallelujahGodfather Of Harlem (Feat. Buddy, A$AP Ferg & Wale) - Soo, we're doing soundtracks for TV shows now? Ok, cool.


Have MercyYBN Cordae - Cordae made the most of his moment in the sun with "The Lost Boy". This was one of many highlights.


HeroPivot Gang - This winding, slow burner is in no hurry to get to any place in particular. Listen long enough however, and eventually it will burrow its way under your skin.


Highest In The RoomTravis Scott - Moods. Vibes. All the feels. The production here is so dreamy and escapist it sounds like an out-of-body experience. Travis is the highest indeed.


Last Year Being Broke: Kemba - "No lie, no joke. I know I said that sh*t a million times before." Yeah, Kemba, haven't we all.


Make BelieveJuice WRLD - "Not afraid to die, as you can see. Life isn't real. Love's make believe." Juice WRLD's pathos always sounded authentic to me. The kid had a gift for melody and expressing genuine angst. Rest easy.

Middle ChildJ Cole - "I studied the greats. I'm the greatest right now". #Facts. If I were doing a list of the best verses of the year, Cole would have like 10 of them. This was his best performance in a year where he showed he is nearly peerless.


Pop OutPolo G (Feat. Lil Tjay) - Sure, I sometimes wanted to fast forward past the sub-par bars, but "Pop Out" delivered what was, without a doubt, my favorite hook of the year. 


Prove ItBig K.R.I.T (Feat. J Cole) - Big K.R.I.T. is the very definition of comfortable in his own skin. Here is shines even while having to keep pace with another blistering J Cole feature.

Sanguine ParadiseLil Uzi Vert - Uzi can no longer be denied his due as a certified hit maker. The song craft here sublime. I loved the pacing and delivery, the expert layering of harmonious sounds, and the rise & fall of the track's momentum.


SerenaRapsody - Rapsody's just so nice the verbs. Bars upon bars. Puns, punchlines and double entendres for days. Every time I listen I catch something new.

Sue MeWale (Feat. Kelly Price) - Are you kidding me Wale? Just so clever how you took the Issa Rae "rooting for everybody black" Emmy's quote and ran with it. 


The Audacity Of DopeSkyzoo & Pete Rock - Too much sing-songy zanny-rap out there for you? How about this 90s style banger from Skyzoo and hall of fame producer Pete Rock?


TupacDaBaby - Honestly, I could have chosen pretty much any song from either of DaBaby's 2 albums this year. They all sound alike, with the same contagious energy. It works for me.


Worth The WeightJidenna - True school hip hop mixed with dope African rhythms. A surefire recipe for head nodding. I'm here for it. 

3 comments:

e-man said...

I’ll first say, where do you hear these songs? I definitely don’t hear these on Dallas radio. I’m guessing not NYC radio either because from time to time I listen to it on the internet and haven’t heard many of those on your list.

My next thought is, the Lamont I knew didn’t really go for the easy slow beat modern hip hop. I’m about the beats, but you were about the lyrics. Must be your son’s influence!!

I did like:
• Big by Young M.A. She’s taking things a step further than being just tough like Dej Loaf.
• Big Fish by Chance the Rapper. I like a lot of Chance’s work.
• Benny the Butcher. Crowns for Kings is a song I’m not surprised you gave a thumbs up. Black Thought’s flow is amazing.
• Dreamville’s Down Bad seems what I’d call a little too southern for you but I give it thumbs up.
• Gang Starr, Family and Loyalty. Not surprised this one made your list.
• Kanye West’s Follow God is like a throwback to Jesus Walks.
• Hallelujah, Godfather of Harlem. I like A$AP Ferg & Wale so this one gets a thumbs up. I like “Just in Case” from the show more.
• Travis Scott Highest in the Room. I’ve liked him since Astroworld.
• Wale - Sue Me. “Sue me I’m rooting for everyone who’s black.” Love that!
• Skyzoo & Pete Rock - The Audacity of Dope is definitely classic.
• Tupac by DaBaby. Agree, every song I’ve heard from him sounds similar. I like his flow but I’d pick Suge (Yea Yea) as his top hit for 2019.
• Jidenna Worth the Weight. It’s not on the level of Long Live the Chief, but I like it.

Unknown said...

This list made me step out of my trapped in the 90s comfort zone...and for Rhoddy Rich and Young MA, I may stay there! I had never paid attention to either really, bc unless a friend tells me (or now your blog!) Or it's on a show like The Chi or Atlanta long enough to move me to download...I wont hear it. I should probably do more digging.

YBN Cordae "Have Mercy" and that whole project make me more comfortable bringing a child into this world of typically subpar hip hop. Wow. "Cookin Crack like Ronald Reagan in the 80s" is the type of line that makes a young person Google it and really appreciate that...and his dad played so much Nas and Talib Kweli it made him want to take music up full time...now, this. That makes me very happy. He is also from Maryland, which as a Baltimore guy makes me feel...special. haha

Young MA I've never heard. Could confuse her w a dude on this track... but I salute her flow for sure and it does seem effortless! Like "I'm way cooler than you and I have been rapping since I was 6." She has headlined for some major acts (Beyonce etc) and that's dope. #NextLevel

Crowns for Kings by Benny the Butcher F.eat. Black Thought is so refreshing and such a nod to the 90s that it makes me smile. Then it makes me wonder how Buffalo got to be so gangster...Is that how NYC got their crime rate down so far?! And I think I'll take another route to Niagara Falls next time bc wow. Great album and solid pick for top 25 song!

J cole continues to not let Nas Down. He is sometimes too damn introspective for me...but 'Middle Child' is definitely one of those I can bump coming home from a black tie event just to remind myself how far I've come lmaooo
Kanye I cant do man. The slavery as a choice thing...the MAGA hat thing and oval office thing (I worked on Congress then and was straight offended bro) Just killed it for me. I LONG for how I felt with All of the Lights...but my KW days are done...for now.
Great list man thanks!!!

Unknown said...

Oh and the Young MA quote I made up. It was my interpretation of her flow. Haha

Lamont's Lists: My Favorite Hip Hop Songs Of 2023

For hip hop, 2023 was a year of looking back. The genre reflected upon 50 years of existence by throwing itself a bunch of excellent parties...